Monday, April 22, 2013

Agree to Disagree


Don’t assume that everyone who disagrees with you is out to get you. There are lots and lots and lots of issues where people can legitimately have a difference of opinion, and neither is wrong, stupid, or an asshole.  For example, I think that Will Ferrell movies* are one of the worst forms of torture.  Many people love Will Ferrell movies.  I may not understand why, but I do not spend my time arguing with them, trying to make them understand why these movies aren't funny.  Why?  Because it's obnoxious, and I don't need to be obnoxious just for the sake of being obnoxious.  Also, I have better things to do:  Go to work, pay my bills, read a book, see a movie, spend time with friends, take a cooking class, listen to music, surf the internet, learn how to clog dance, take courses in Sanskrit - all a better use of my time than arguing with and irritating people who disagree with me on things that really don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Sometimes, you’re just wrong.  It happens to the best of us.   In that case, people are disagreeing with you because you're actually incorrect.  Sometimes, if you listen to what they're saying, you'll think to yourself, "Oh, right!  1+1 does not equal 3!"  In that case, someone disagreeing with you is nothing personal - unless people are disagreeing with you because you’re an asshole.



* Disclaimer:  Wedding Crashers is hilarious, but not really a Will Ferrell movie (and his role was the only not funny part).  Also, Stranger than Fiction is what I call "the exception that proves the rule."  It's awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment